This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3074 / 52°18'26"N
Longitude: 0.8818 / 0°52'54"E
OS Eastings: 596562
OS Northings: 271606
OS Grid: TL965716
Mapcode National: GBR SH3.7RQ
Mapcode Global: VHKD1.78JH
Entry Name: Wyken Hall
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284028
Location: Stanton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parishes: Stanton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bardwell St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 97 SE BARDWELL WYKEN ROAD, STANTON
4/51 Wyken Hall
Manor famhouse. Late C16 and mid-to-late C17, extensively restored and
considerably extended by John S. Corder of Ipswich, in Elizabethan style, 1920.
Timber-framed and rendered older ranges, brick and render to C20 extensions.
Plaintiled roofs. 2 storeys: complex form. C20 casement windows with square-
leaded panes. Main entrance with C20 Tudoresque porch set in north-west angle
of the front. The core of the house, although never a complete building in
itself, is a 2-bay C16 range, now at rear, aligned north-south, with a plain,
heavy beam-and-joist ceiling to the ground floor room. A large red brick early
C17. stack was added externally at the south end. This has a group of 3 shafts
with moulded caps and bases. 2 later C17 cross-wings were added to this range,
both aligned east-west: one at the south-west end, the other at the north-east,
forming with the original range an angular 'S'. The former contains one large
room on each floor, with plain cross-beams, chamfered and stopped, and thin,
widely-spaced joists set on edge. The latter range has an internal chimney-
stack with shafts of ornamental early C16 type, said to have come from Langham
Hall. Rendered externally, with traces of simple pargetting: small-paned sash
windows. The 1920 extensions surround the older house on 3 sides, and almost
double it in size. They provide additional service wings to the north and
west, and a drawing-room wing facing south, with an oriel window to the upper
storey. Various ornate chimney-stacks. Main staircase in heavy Jacobean style.
Complex plans for a new garden layout, also produced in 1920, were never
Listing NGR: TL9656271606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings