This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2345 / 52°14'4"N
Longitude: 0.6177 / 0°37'3"E
OS Eastings: 578849
OS Northings: 262812
OS Grid: TL788628
Mapcode National: GBR QDW.T4H
Mapcode Global: VHJGT.N3DD
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283803
Location: The Saxhams, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: The Saxhams
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Saxham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 76 SE
Church of St Andrew
Church; medieval, with major alterations c.1869. Nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch, north organ chamber. Flint rubble and septaria with C18 red brick
work to chancel and C19 rounded flints in restored areas; plaintiled roofs.
Late C12 north nave doorway has arched head in 2 orders with engaged shafts,
similar south doorway, plainer with hood-mould, chamfered reveals and imposts.
Nave roof C15 with scissor-braced coupled rafters, ashlar pieces and moulded
cornice supported on knees curved for plaster coving. Chancel greatly altered
1798 (south wall in red brickwork); all windows C19; roof C18 or C19,
matchboarded. C15 tower with 2-light belfry openings, stair turret to mid-
height, crenellated parapets, single-light ground floor window. C15 porch,
parapet gabled; doorway has pilasters with moulded capitals; 2-light side
windows; butt-purlin roof with crenellated cornice. Circa 1869 alterations
include: gabled organ chamber in early Gothic style, small vestry against
tower, alterations to probably Norman tower arch, new chancel arch. Windows:
nave Decorated style, dated 1874 and 1859 on glazing ; chancel east side 3-
light Decorated, north and south walls Perpendicular. Nave floor has C18
quarry tiles, tower has stone slabs. West tower window has reused German glass
dated 1632, east chancel window has C16 glass brought from France and
Switzerland 1815. Octagonal C15 limestone font with sunk quatrefoiled panels.
Octagonal early C17 pulpit, restored C19. Simple C16 poppy head nave benches;
C19 poppyhead nave benches and choir stalls, some have richly carved reused C17
panels. Brass eagle lectern dated 1818. Painted coat of arms of Queen Anne
over south door and of Thomas Mills over north door. Brass in chancel floor,
1632, of John Eldred, Alderman of London; his mural monument with bust on
sanctuary wall .
Listing NGR: TL7884962812
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings