History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Catherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flempton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2976 / 52°17'51"N

Longitude: 0.6575 / 0°39'26"E

OS Eastings: 581308

OS Northings: 269933

OS Grid: TL813699

Mapcode National: GBR QD4.YWY

Mapcode Global: VHJGG.BJX0

Entry Name: Church of St Catherine

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 283739

Location: Flempton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Flempton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Flempton St Catherine of Alexandria

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Lackford

Listing Text

TL 86 NW FLEMPTON CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
4/32
14.7.55

- II*


Nave, Chancel, west tower, south porch, vestry. Flint walls with limestone
dressings, slated roof. Tower almost completely rebuilt 1839 in 3 stages
after collapse, but east wall retains stone weathering for former thatched nave
roof; 2-light belfry openings on 4 sides and first stage west window. Nave,
chancel and south porch mainly mid C14, but 2 light north chancel window is
early C14. Mid C14 work includes:- 3 light chancel east window and nave south
window, 2 light nave and chancel windows, south porch and entrance doorway with
original doors much restored but retaining trefoiled carving at upper level,
plain tower arch, octagonal font with moulded shaft, broad pilastered chancel
arch with capital and base mouldings, 2-light piscina in south chancel wall
with net tracery. Porch, nave and chancel roofs 1839; scissor-braced
principals with pendant bosses, purlins, boarded soffits, square panels with
rosette and leaf ornament. Parapet gabled vestry 1839. Attar rails and pulpit
mid C17. Arms of George III dated 1763 on nave wall. Nave pews with weak
poppyheads 1839.


Listing NGR: TL8130569936

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.