This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.266 / 52°15'57"N
Longitude: 0.6397 / 0°38'22"E
OS Eastings: 580226
OS Northings: 266375
OS Grid: TL802663
Mapcode National: GBR QDJ.SPD
Mapcode Global: VHJGN.19JQ
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031432
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283783
Location: Risby, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP28
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Risby
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Risby St Giles
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 86 NW
Church of St Giles
Church; medieval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, vestry. Flint walls, limestone dressings, plain tiled roof. Of round tower with 3 mid-height openings with semicircular lintels, two tiers of crude narrow flint openings at upper level. Early C14 alterations include: construction of new chancel, north chapel (demolished 1843),north and south nave and chancel doors, north and south nave and chancel 2-light windows, east chancel 3-light window with net tracery, and small west window in tower. C13 lancet and C15 3-light window to north nave. Cabled vestry 1843. South porch c.1435; angle-buttresses, arched opening with attached shafts, coupled rafter roof. Nave roof ceiled, 7 cants, probably early C14. C19 south doors. C12 tower arch with roll-moulded head, shafted jambs, chequered abacus, and door/sanctus bell opening above. North nave door C14. Chancel arch C13, reusing C12 shafted jambs and horseshoe patterned voussoirs on rear arch. Unusual C15 screen with colouring, flanked by coloured niches with crocketed heads, and door and steps to road loft. Mid C19 scissor-braced chancel roof. Canopied niches flanking east window, C14 piscina and sedilla on south wall. Wall decorations late C13 on north nave wall and C14 figures over north nave door. C15 poppy head and buttressed benches with brattishing. Other have pews 1842. Mid C17 pulpit and holy table with cross by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. C14 iron banded chest. Panel with painted arms of George III. Chancel refitted 1863 and 1881; fine oak arcaded reredos with vine decoration, also to altar table, good poppy head choir stalls. Organ dated 1868. Fragments of C13, C14 and C15 glass in chancel windows. Glazing by Kempe, 1892 in south nave window.
Listing NGR: TL8022666375
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings