This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.656 / 53°39'21"N
Longitude: -0.3242 / 0°19'27"W
OS Eastings: 510844
OS Northings: 419027
OS Grid: TA108190
Mapcode National: GBR VV55.L5
Mapcode Global: WHGG4.ZCRL
Entry Name: Abbey Lane Gatehouse
Listing Date: 15 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468899
Location: Thornton Curtis, North Lincolnshire, DN39
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Thornton Curtis
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Thornton Curtis St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 11 NW THORNTON CURTIS ABBEY LANE
Abbey Lane Gatehouse
Crossing Keeper's house with crossing gates and five lever frame. 1849, for the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Red brick in Flemish bond with Welsh slate roof. T shaped plan with the head of the T to the road and the wing behind. Two storeys with two small single storey C20 extensions. The road elevation has a single 2 over 2 sash on the ground floor and a steeply pitched roof above with a rebuilt central red brick stack. The eastern elevation onto the railway line has a small canted bay with 1 over 1 flanking 2 over 2 sashes on the ground floor, and a 2 over 2 sash in the gable above. A small 2 by 4 pane window in the rear wing to the left looks out onto the lever frame. The west gable has a 2 over 2 sash and the south gable a small 1 over 1 window to light the stair. Interior: This is said to retain most of the original doors and the staircase as well as the basic room plan. The attached grossing gates are of the traditional timber type with cross bracing which is now very rare in situ. History: Built by the Great Grimsby and Sheffield Junction Railway as a part of their mainline from Gainsborough to New Holland and opened to traffic in 1848, but by this time it had amalgamated with other companies (1 January 1847) to become the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. It can be demonstrated that the gatehouse was present in situ in 1849. Sources: North Lincolnshire District Council. North East Lincolnshire Archive.
Listing NGR: TA1084419027
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings