This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.627 / 52°37'37"N
Longitude: 1.3665 / 1°21'59"E
OS Eastings: 627935
OS Northings: 308565
OS Grid: TG279085
Mapcode National: GBR WHV.B9B
Mapcode Global: WHMTN.Y7VF
Entry Name: Church at St Andrews Hospital
Listing Date: 14 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468956
Location: Thorpe St. Andrew, Broadland, Norfolk, NR7
Civil Parish: Thorpe St. Andrew
Civil Parish/community: Thorpe St Andrew
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thorpe Episcopi St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 20 NE THORPE ST ANDREW YARMOUTH ROAD
494/6/10006 Church at St Andrews
Church. 1856-59, by John Brown, county surveyor. Nave 1877, probably by THB Heslop, county surveyor. Yellow brick, with ashlar and brick dressings and hipped slate roof with a hipped octagonal ventilator. Classical Revival style. Rusticated basement and angle pilasters, string course and sill band. Octagonal body with porch and vestry to east, and organ chamber and tower to north. Rectangular nave with western vestry. Round arched glazing bar windows, with panels below them. Body has to east a tripartite window with a larger and taller central light. Below it, a lean-to porch with 2 glazing bar sashes, approached by an external corridor. Pedimented bay to south with similar fenestration, and below it, 2 round arched doors and a window to the basement. To north, organ chamber with a tall round arched window to east and west. Above, square tower, 3 stages, the lowest stage rusticated. Mid stage has round windows, some blank. Bell stage has round arched openings under shallow pediments, and bracketed cornice. Remaining bays, without pediments, have a window, 3 lights, and a tile panelled frieze. In the south east bay, 3 basement windows. Nave has 3 bays divided by pilasters, sill band, and bracketed eaves cornice. On each side, three 3-light windows. West end has pediment containing a round window, and topped with a finial and cross. Vestry at west end, single storey, has flat roof behind coped parapet. Projecting centre with large glazing bar window, flanked by single smaller windows, all with flat heads. Interior, rendered. Main body has hipped matchboard ceiling with central octagonal boss. East side has a triple gabled wooden rereedos, C20, flanked by doors. North side has a blocked round arched arcade, 3 bays, to the organ chamber. Chamfered square columns and keystones. Over the central light, a roundel with keystone and foliage spray. To west, a moulded round arch with keystone. Remaining sides have 3-light windows with plain glass. Nave has ramped floor, ornamented cross-beam ceiling, and frieze with roundels. Bays are divided by panelled pilasters with cornices. West end has a central 6-panel door. Fittings: original benches with panelled ends in the main body, replica benches in the nave. Original altar rail. At the east end, 2 radiators, C19, in elaborate cast iron foliage cases.
In the basement, former mortuary rooms, and half-tiled post-mortem room with glazed ceramic dissection table on pedestals.
Listing NGR: TG2793508565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings