This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4659 / 51°27'57"N
Longitude: -0.3032 / 0°18'11"W
OS Eastings: 517964
OS Northings: 175473
OS Grid: TQ179754
Mapcode National: GBR 80.68P
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.PFL1
Entry Name: Pavilion at Richmond Athletic Ground
Listing Date: 19 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468958
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW9
District: Richmond upon Thames
London Borough Ward: North Richmond
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Richmond
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 1775 KEW FOOT ROAD
22/8/10075 Pavilion at Richmond Athletic Ground
Sports pavilion. Built circa 1886, when the Richmond Athletic Ground was established on its current site, with some C20 alterations. The late C20 addition to the west is not of special interest. Ground floor mainly of red brick with filled in verandah to north with timber supports. First floor timberframed, clad with weatherboarding with pantiled roof Two storeys. Ground floor south side has 9 sashes with cambered head linings with panelled aprons and two similar doorcases divided by pilasters. First floor clad in weatherboarding set diagonally at the top and vertically from the dado. Unusually, there is a verandah on two sides, enabling views over both playing areas. This is supported on Moghul-inspired square piers with bracketed capitals. North side has central pediment with scrolled feature, swags and lettering of organisation. Beneath the overhanging eaves are further panels with swags. Gable ends have eclectic applied framing. Elaborate three and four-light "chinoise" windows and doors. South side has two tiers of columns to verandah. The pavilion is unusual in not being dedicated to a single sport. The grounds were used for the Richmond Town Cricket Club (from 1886-1958), the Richmond Rugby Football Club (1889 onwards), the London Scottish Rugby Football Club (1894 onwards) and the Royal Richmond Horse Show (1892-1967). The Horse Show was part of the London Season.
Listing NGR: TQ1796475473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings