History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Erecting Shop and Assembly Shops, Coalbrookdale Ironworks

A Grade II Listed Building in The Gorge, Telford and Wrekin

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6384 / 52°38'18"N

Longitude: -2.4921 / 2°29'31"W

OS Eastings: 366794

OS Northings: 304627

OS Grid: SJ667046

Mapcode National: GBR BW.6TD3

Mapcode Global: WH9D8.PYG7

Entry Name: Erecting Shop and Assembly Shops, Coalbrookdale Ironworks

Listing Date: 20 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468960

Location: The Gorge, Telford and Wrekin, TF8

County: Telford and Wrekin

Civil Parish: The Gorge

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Coalbrookdale

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Coalbrookdale

Listing Text

SJ6604 THE GORGE COALBROOKDALE
1126/9/10029 Erecting shop and Assembly shops

Coalbrookdale Ironworks

GV II

Erecting shop. 1879, extended 1883-6. Red brick with white brick dressings. Clay plain tile hipped roof with white and red brick eaves cornice.
PLAN: Long rectangular 16-bay building; 11-bay original range with 5 bays added in 1883-6. Circa 1930 assembly shops on west side not of special interest.
EXTERIOR: East front has 16 large round-headed windows with white brick rebates and continuous white brick cill band, multi-pane cast-iron windows with radiating glazing bars to the top panes. Similar window with large doorway to right with sliding door on north end. Lower single storey flat-roof compressor house at south end.
INTERIOR: One large space open to the roof with timber tie-beam and collar trusses with steel struts, ties and braces. West wall has 14 blocked arches and high-level knuckle joints which supported jib cranes and bearing boxes for cable drive. Gantry and its rails on the walls. Railway line on floor. This erecting shop was built in 1879 and replaced small engineering shops on the nearby Upper Works.

Listing NGR: SJ6679404627

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.