This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4652 / 51°27'54"N
Longitude: 0.11 / 0°6'36"E
OS Eastings: 546666
OS Northings: 176137
OS Grid: TQ466761
Mapcode National: GBR Q8.GD7
Mapcode Global: VHHNR.VFJM
Entry Name: Former Fosters Primary School
Listing Date: 20 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031526
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468964
Location: Bexley, London, DA16
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
London Borough Ward: St Michael's
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: East Wickham St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/08/2012
TQ 47 NE
UPPER WICKHAM LANE
Former Foster's Primary School
(Formerly listed as Foster's Primary School)
Formerly a school with a former schoolmaster's house. Built in 1879 for Foster's Educational Trust which had been set up on another site following a bequest of William Foster in 1727 for the education of 20 poor children. Built of brown brick with red brick dressings, some pointed tiles to gables and renewed tiled roof with ridge tiles.
PLAN: L-shaped building comprising school to left and former schoolmaster's house to right.
EXTERIOR: School of one storey and attics with prominent octagonal tiled spire with wooden louvres and cast-iron finial. Projecting gable to left with wooden bargeboards and pendant and 2 tall windows and on return lean-to with arched doorcase. Dormer with stepped mullioned windows followed by 3 mullioned and transomed casements on ground floor. A gabled porch is followed to right by a large projecting gable with 3-tier 5-light casement.
2-storey former house to right is of 2 parallel ranges and 2 storeys with chequer-work framing with pebbledashed infill to gable. One 3-light sash to first floor, a 4-light canted bay to ground floor and gabled wooden porch with bargeboard, finial and pendant.
North-east side has 4 mullioned and transomed windows and roof has courses of alternate plain and patterned tiles.
Rear elevation has end projecting gables with hipped hoist and flat-roofed dormer to central section and later flat-roofed addition in matching style and materials.
INTEROR: Not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ4666676137
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings