This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.74 / 50°44'23"N
Longitude: -1.7166 / 1°42'59"W
OS Eastings: 420092
OS Northings: 93412
OS Grid: SZ200934
Mapcode National: GBR 55D.JSW
Mapcode Global: FRA 7794.12T
Entry Name: The Former Boundary Wall of Highcliffe Castle Fronting Lymington Road; Sections Opposite Nea Road, Westwards to Public Footpath
Listing Date: 8 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031540
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468979
Location: Christchurch, Dorset, BH23
Electoral Ward/Division: Highcliffe
Built-Up Area: Christchurch
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Highcliffe St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SZ 2093 CHRISTCHURCH LYMINGTON ROAD
748/13/10017 The former boundary wall of
Highcliffe Castle fronting
Lymington Road; sections
opposite Nea Road, westwards
to Public Footpath
Former boundary wall to Highcliffe Castle. Circa 1830; repaired C20. Hitch's patent bricks in rat-trap bond with triangular brick coping and buttresses. About 1.5 m tall, now in two sections. The wall was probably built during Donthorne's remodelling of Highcliffe Castle in 1830-4. In 1828 Caleb Hitch, a Ware [in Herts] brickmaker, was granted a patent for large interlocking bricks with cavities. They were laid on edge and claimed to be more economical than standard bricks, but because of the complicated form of brick required to turn a corner many different patterns had to be produced. Consequently, they were not widely adopted and outside Ware Hitch bricks are very rare. The later standard brick extensions are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SZ2009293412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings