This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7592 / 50°45'32"N
Longitude: -1.5423 / 1°32'32"W
OS Eastings: 432377
OS Northings: 95606
OS Grid: SZ323956
Mapcode National: GBR 783.6X4
Mapcode Global: FRA 77N2.NYR
Entry Name: Baptist Church
Listing Date: 8 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468985
Location: Lymington and Pennington, New Forest, Hampshire, SO41
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Lymington and Pennington
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Lymington St Thomas the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SZ 3295 LYMINGTON NEW STREET
693/1/10008 Baptist Church
Baptist chapel. 1834; with C20 alterations. Rendered brick. Slate roof with gabled ends. PLAN: Auditorium with gallery at west end and on north and south sides. Entrance at west end into vestibule under gallery. Basement originally contained school. EXTERIOR: 2-storey, 1:3:1 bay west front, centre three bays project with a pedimented tetrastyle portico with Ionic half-columns on the first floor and occulus in the tympanum; round-headed windows with multi-pane cast-iron frames; central round-headed doorway with large C20 glazed porch. Band at first floor level, continued around 3-bay sides, which have round-headed gallery windows and straight-headed windows below, all with cast-iron frames with small opening centre lights. On north side, doorway to basement with flush-panel double doors. Rear [E], three high-level round-headed windows with multi-pane cast-iron frames and lean-to below. INTERIOR: Gallery on three sides on thin cast-iron columns and with ornate cast-iron front; gallery dado-panelling and stairs. Seating and rostrum replaced. Ceiling covered with modern tiles. Stairs to former organ loft with stick balusters and column newels. NOTE: The Baptists formed a church in Lymington in the late C17 and built a new meeting house in New Street in 1769. The present chapel is a rebuilding of 1834. SOURCE: RCHME, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in South-West England; p.142.
Listing NGR: SZ3165894204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings