This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4896 / 51°29'22"N
Longitude: -0.6089 / 0°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 496680
OS Northings: 177654
OS Grid: SU966776
Mapcode National: GBR F8D.GW8
Mapcode Global: VHFT8.DTGG
Entry Name: Porny School
Listing Date: 8 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468987
Location: Eton, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: Eton
Built-Up Area: Eton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Eton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 9677 NE ETON HIGH STREET
851/1/10003 Porny School
School and master's house. 1863-73, to the designs of G.E. Street. Polychrome red and blue brick with stone dressings. Banded slate roofs with pierced clay ridge tiles and stone coped gable ends. Brick gable-end and axial stacks with set-offs, each with pair of short stone circular shafts.
High Victorian Gothic style.
PLAN: Master's house in range at front with archway at right [S] end through to schoolrooms adjoining at rear [E]; the original schoolroom was extended in 1873 by addition of a large 2-storey range.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey 5-bay front range in polychrome red brick with blue brick diaper patterns, bands and relieving arches to 3-light stone mullion ground floor windows with sashes; to right a cusped segmental stone arch and shallow wooden oriel on brachets over 2-light wooden window with glazing bars; weathered brick plinth and string at first floor window cill level, 3-light first floor casements; the string continues around left [N] gable end where it is raised at centre; short wing added at rear with twin half-hipped roofs. Red brick schoolrooms at rear with slate gable-ended roofs, the first single storey, the second a tall 2-storey range with lancets and rose windows in the gable ends; and another single-storey range at right angles to the east. INTERIOR: Schoolrooms ceiled. NOTE: This school replaced the Porny School of 1813 [listed No.29 High St], which was founded by a Frenchman called Porny.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.139.
Listing NGR: SU9668077654
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings