This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1071 / 53°6'25"N
Longitude: -1.3244 / 1°19'27"W
OS Eastings: 445327
OS Northings: 356866
OS Grid: SK453568
Mapcode National: GBR 7D8.802
Mapcode Global: WHDG3.M5KD
Entry Name: Hilltop Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 January 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469043
Location: South Normanton, Bolsover, Derbyshire, DE55
Civil Parish: South Normanton
Built-Up Area: South Normanton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: South Normanton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 45 NE
House, formerly farmhouse. C17 or earlier, extended and altered late C17, and refronted and further extended c. 1840. Coal measures sandstone and red brick, possibly replacing timber-framing in the rear wing, and with lined-out render to parts of rear elevation. Ridge and gable brick chinmeys, and a plain tile roof covering. PLAN; irregular T~plan, with early range to south, and refronted range to north. FRONT (north) ELEVATION: 2 storeys, 4 bays with off-centre doorway with 4-panel door beneath rectangular overlight with margin glazing. Flanking the doorway are stacked glazing bar sash windows, 8 over 8 panes, with projecting stone cills beneath painted wedge lintels. 6 over 6 pane sash above doorway. Service bay to west end. SIDE (east) ELEVATION: rendered facade, with wing extending eastwards to the right. C20 porch enclosed doorway with C18 2-panel door within pegged frame. Truncated stack to south gable, with 6-pane casement to first floor on stack line. Stacked windows to right of porch with C20 joinery, and similar arrangement to east end bay of wing. GARDEN (east) ELEVATION: doorway at junction of rear range and service bay of frontage range. Above, 2-light horizontal sliding sash window, each light of 8 panes. To the right of the doorway, stacked 2-light horizontal sashes, 8-pane lights above, 6-pane lights below. INTERIOR: rear range with 2 rooms divided by a passage, originally by a cruck truss, with plank and muntin partition. This now forms part of the south wall of the north room. Within the south room, a spine beam with C17 chamfer stops extends from the south wall to the cruck-framed wall. The cast cruck blade has been cut back from floor level to just below ceiling level. North romm with 2 ceiling beams and exposed joists, built-in cupboard to south-west corner, and 2-panel framed and boarded door on iron strap hinges. Deep hearth with C20 inserted stove at north end, with baffle to east side. Frontage range incorporates former wing, the east room of which has a spine beam with elaborate C17 chamfer stop. C19 added front rooms with panelled shutters to windows. C19 stick baluster stair within hallway probably partially formed from north end room of Cl7 house. A multi-phase vernacular house, altered and refronted in the early C19, but with substantial surviving fabric from all phases, and retaining clear evidence of the evolution of the present plan form.
Listing NGR: SK4532756866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings