History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corn King and Spring Queen Sculpture at Madge Electronics Site

A Grade II Listed Building in Wexham, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5479 / 51°32'52"N

Longitude: -0.5694 / 0°34'9"W

OS Eastings: 499295

OS Northings: 184189

OS Grid: SU992841

Mapcode National: GBR F7P.T0Q

Mapcode Global: VHFT3.2CV7

Entry Name: Corn King and Spring Queen Sculpture at Madge Electronics Site

Listing Date: 15 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031590

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469099

Location: Wexham, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL2

County: Buckinghamshire

District: South Bucks

Civil Parish: Wexham

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wexham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Fulmer

Listing Text

SU 98 SE WEXHAM FRAMEWOOD ROAD
(east side)
411/8/10012 Corn King and Spring
Queen sculpture at Madge Electronics site

II

Sculpture. 1964 by William Mitchell for the British Cement Association, originally the British Cement and Concrete Association. Bonded cast concrete sections in red and grey, with incised and applied decorations; materials stuck into concrete include ceramic, mosaic, flints and pebbles. About fourteen to fifteen feet high, in two sections. Two principal figures formed of cast pieces stuck together and decorated, with similar third figure set back and smaller, more abstract forms freestanding. The figures are primitive and totemic symbols of mythology and fertility, perhaps with a debt to native American traditions. The Corn King and Spring Queen is the most imaginative and principal surviving element of the BCA's former research station, founded at Wexham Springs in 1947 and largely demolished in 1995. The most distinguished single element of well designed grounds by Geoffrey Jellicoe, Sylvia Crowe and others which made an artistic feature of simple cladding panels, bollards and pavings, which have otherwise largely gone, it successfully demonstrates that concrete could be an imaginative medium as well as an attractive and practical one. William Mitchell specialised in the casting of concrete relief sculpture, in 1959 commissioned by the London County Council to work with architects and thereafter working with Basil Spence, Frederick Gibberd and others. This is his principal freestanding work, a piece of powerful and bizarre imagination.
(The Buildings of England: Nikolaus Pevsner and Elizabeth Williamson: Buckinghamshire: 1994~: 743-4).

Listing NGR: SU9929584189

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.