This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5086 / 51°30'31"N
Longitude: -0.1371 / 0°8'13"W
OS Eastings: 529381
OS Northings: 180502
OS Grid: TQ293805
Mapcode National: GBR FF.DC
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.KBWT
Entry Name: Southwood Memorial in St James's Churchyard
Listing Date: 15 April 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031599
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469111
Location: Westminster, London, W1J
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 NW PICCADILLY, W1
1900/70/10097 Southwood Memorial in
St James's Churchyard
Memorial to Viscount Southwood (1873-1946). 1947-8 by A E Richardson; sculptor Alfred F Hardiman. Built by 'skilled deaf and dumb masons' under the supervision of Rattee and Kett. Portland stone fountain with four bronze figures of children. The fountain is oval in shape (22ft 3" by 13 ft 3"), with a high back with upturned volutes set against a raised garden created with a bequest from Lord Southwood, this is reached via steps either side, which with their retaining walls form part of the fountain's composition. Two small figures sit astride dolphins within the fountain; two more figures perch on conch shells set on the piers of the retaining walls. The back is inscribed 'VISCOUNT SOUTHWOOD'; behind a pair of niches house caskets with his ashes and those of his wife, Alice Louise Stone (1865-951).
The publisher Julius Salter Elias, created Baron and later Viscount Southwood, bequeathed money to St James's, Piccadilly, for a memorial garden. This was to be a symbol of the church's bombing and restoration, a commemoration of the courage of the people of London during the war, and a pleasant retreat from the bustle of central London. Derelict ground next to the churchyard was purchased, and dedicated by the Bishop of London on 12 May 1946. The memorial to Southwood is set in front of this. The figures commemorate Southwood's work for children as Chairman of what is now Great Ormond Street Hospital. Hardiman himself died before the monument was unveiled. Included for the quality of the sculpture, as a novel piece of garden design and as a poignant memorial from the first days of post-war reconstruction.
(The Builder: 17 May 1946; The Builder: 9 May 1947; The Builder: 20 May and 2 September 1949).
Listing NGR: TQ2938180502
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 June 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings