This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.997 / 51°59'49"N
Longitude: -0.3677 / 0°22'3"W
OS Eastings: 512160
OS Northings: 234426
OS Grid: TL121344
Mapcode National: GBR H55.PV8
Mapcode Global: VHFR2.K2YG
Entry Name: 19, Bury Road
Listing Date: 16 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469069
Location: Shillington, Central Bedfordshire, SG5
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Shillington
Built-Up Area: Shillington
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shillington and Gravenhurst
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL1234 SHILLINGTON BURY ROAD
AND STONDON Hillfoot End
346/18/10007 No. 19
House, formerly a pair of cottages. c. 1830, with C20 alterations. Timber-frame construction, externally rendered with a dash finish. Steeply-pitched roof, formerly thatched, with eyebrow dormers, now with asbestos slate covering. Single chimney stack, expressed externally with widened base to shaft to each gable wall. Single storey with attics, 2 bays, originally 2, single cell cottages. FRONT (east) ELEVATION: each bay with a doorway and ground floor 2-light casement window beneath a plain drip mould. Plain ledged and planked doors with small light to upper part. Attic floor with former eyebrow dormers now re-shaped as wedge dormers, with small 2-light
casements set within semi-circular arch formed by vertical boarded dormer front. INTERIOR: single room to each floor, linked by a plain winder stair. Simple surround with mantel shelf to each ground-floor hearth. Exposed slender timber-framing in attic storey. HISTORY: at the time of the enclosure of Shillington (1817), the site of No. 19 Bury Road was undeveloped. Between 1801 and 1861, the population of the county doubled. The survival in relatively unaltered form of a dwelling built to accommodate rural workers, and which represents the final phase of the vernacular building traditions of an area is of special interest, as the level of survival of dwellings of this class and date is very poor nationally.
Listing NGR: TL1216034426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings