History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red House

A Grade II Listed Building in Green Street West, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5417 / 51°32'30"N

Longitude: 0.0244 / 0°1'27"E

OS Eastings: 540485

OS Northings: 184477

OS Grid: TQ404844

Mapcode National: GBR LR.JV5

Mapcode Global: VHHNB.CHRZ

Entry Name: Red House

Listing Date: 18 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469074

Location: Newham, London, E7

County: London

District: Newham

Local Authority Ward: Green Street West

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Newham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Forest Gate Emmanuel with Upton Cross St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
West Ham

Listing Text

TQ 48 SW
251/4/10021

UPTON AVENUE, E7
13 (Red House)


II

House, later converted into club. There was a building on this site in 1717 and c1760 brickwork to north gable and east front survives, but this building was extensively remodelled in the 1880s. In 1933 it became a club, with 1940s caretaker's flat raised to two storeys in the 1960s erected on site of late C19 kitchen and services and the entire ground floor of the east elevation was converted into a single bar. Principal west front of1880s of red brick with stuccoed dressings; roof concealed by parapet and end brick chimneystacks. Two storeys and basement; six windows. Larger projecting bay to north under curved gable has four-light French windows and balcony with pierced balustrade over canted bay to ground floor. Other windows are tall casements. Parapet has panels of pierced balustrading and elaborate urns. Moulded bands between floors and end quoins. Wide porch with cornice having central curved pediment with raised design and pierced balustrading to balcony supported on four rusticated Tuscan columns. North front is mainly C 18 brickwork and east elevation has full-height bowed bay of the same date. Interior features remain of the 18805. Entrance hall has imperial staircase with elaborate wrought and cast iron balustrading with mahogany handrail and series of doors, some with carved surrounds. North ground floor room has marble fireplace with round-headed arch, bearded masked keystone and high relief panels of fruit. South room has some Minton floor tiles. Both rooms have c1880 window shutters and plaster cornices. Roof structure is of 1880s. Bell of 1762 in upstairs front office has been resited from a demolished cupola on the roof A Dutch merchant lived in a house here in 1717. Later it was the home of Mr Tuthill, the manufacturer of early trade union banners and in 1933 it became St Anthony's Catholic Club.

Listing NGR: TQ4048584477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.