History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leach Pottery

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Ives, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2069 / 50°12'24"N

Longitude: -5.4928 / 5°29'34"W

OS Eastings: 150873

OS Northings: 39942

OS Grid: SW508399

Mapcode National: GBR DXT4.8SW

Mapcode Global: VH12L.R215

Entry Name: Leach Pottery

Listing Date: 27 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469086

Location: St. Ives, Cornwall, TR26

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Ives

Civil Parish/community: St Ives

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Halsetown

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
St Ives

Listing Text

SW 53 NW ST IVES B3306

678/5/10003 Leach Pottery

GV II

Pottery. 1921, for Bernard Leach. Stone rubble and rendered concrete blocks. Gable-ended scantle slate roofs, the kiln shed has louvred ridge ventilator. Brick gable end and axial stacks.
PLAN: Long range comprising, kiln shed at SW end, throwing and glazing rooms with loft over at centre, and workshop with studio above at NE end.
EXTERIOR: Single storey kiln shed at SW end has outshut on NW side and porch on SE front. Throwing and glazing rooms at centre, built of stone rubble and with sash windows. Workshop with studio above is cross-wing at NE end with external stairs to first floor doorway on SE gable end.
INTERIOR: In the kiln shed is the brick 3-chambered climbing kiln designed by T. Matsubayashi in 1921 and rebuilt in 1923, a small tunnel kiln, an individual kiln and a modern gas kiln. In the glazing room there is a corner fireplace with a cambered brick arch with two small terracotta niches above. In the throwing room two of Leach's wheels; above is the drying loft. Over the workshop at the NE end is Leach's studio with access via external stairs.
NOTE: The Leach Pottery was established by Bernard Leach, with the Japanese potter Hamada Shoji, on his return in 1920 from studying in Japan.
SOURCE: Leach. Bernard, A Potter's Book; published 1940.

Listing NGR: SW5087339942

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.