History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

58, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Swale, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.34 / 51°20'23"N

Longitude: 0.7368 / 0°44'12"E

OS Eastings: 590717

OS Northings: 163656

OS Grid: TQ907636

Mapcode National: GBR RT6.T9W

Mapcode Global: VHKJL.QLC3

Entry Name: 58, High Street

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 175793

Location: Swale, Kent, ME10

County: Kent

District: Swale

Town: Swale

District Council Ward: Chalkwell

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Sittingbourne

Listing Text

TQ 9063
NE 2/6

SITTINGBOURNE
HIGH STREET (North Side)
No 58


10.9.51

GV
II
This building, with Nos 60 and 62 adjoining, formed the front of the Red Lion Inn
which was originally the principal hotel of Sittingbourne until it was superseded
by the Rose Inn. The front dates from the Cl8. 2 storeys and attics red brick.
Tiled roof and 1 C19 gabled dormer. Cornice and panelled parapet on which there
is a plaster figure of a couchant lion. 4 sashes with glazing bars missing. Modern
public house front on the ground floor and carriage arch through the building to
the west of it. Behind the street front and at right angles to it is a long low
timber-framed building. The ground floor has been rebuilt in painted brick. The
lst floor is plastered and overhangs on a bressumer. Tiled roof. Sash windows,
some with glazing bars intact, including a curved bay of 3 round-headed windows
at the south end of the ground floor with cornice over. 2 storeys, 6 windows
facing west. There has been an inn on this site for 500 years. In 1415, Henry
V was entertained here on his return from Agincourt. Other famous customers include
Cardinal Wolsey and Henry V.

Nos 30 to 62 (even) form a group.


Listing NGR: TQ9071763656

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.