History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weighton Lock

A Grade II Listed Building in Broomfleet, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7198 / 53°43'11"N

Longitude: -0.6764 / 0°40'35"W

OS Eastings: 487439

OS Northings: 425637

OS Grid: SE874256

Mapcode National: GBR RTQF.C8

Mapcode Global: WHGFL.LR3P

Entry Name: Weighton Lock

Listing Date: 28 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031829

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164969

Location: Broomfleet, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU15

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Broomfleet

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Broomfleet St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Winteringham

Listing Text

SE 82 NE BROOMFLEET


12/7 Weighton Lock

- II

Lock and sluice. 1773, on datestone which also records John Grundy,
engineer; Samuel Allen or Allam, surveyor; John Smith, carpenter; Mr
Jefferson, mason. Repaired 1826 by Joseph Whitehead and again 1855-6.
Ashlar and timber. Lock to east with humpbacked bridge, sluice to west.
Lock approximately 3 metres in width and 30 metres in total length, with
2 pairs of gates and original manual winching gear. 4-course parapet to
bridge. Sluice semicircular pier divides round arches over waterways, each
approximately 5 metres in width originally with draw doors to north and
pointing doors to south. The draw doors have recently been replaced by
roller gates. Flat 3-course parapet to sluice bears plaque recording
building detail to south. This lock and sluice control the outfall of the
Market Weighton Canal into the River Humber. An Act of Parliament for the
Market Weighton Drainage and Navigation was passed in May 1772. It was
engineered by John Grundy (1719-83) and built between 1772 and 1783.
Skempton A W, "The Engineering Works of John Grundy" in Lincolnshire History
and Archaeology Vol 19, 1984.


Listing NGR: SE8743925637

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.