This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4049 / 51°24'17"N
Longitude: -0.3536 / 0°21'13"W
OS Eastings: 514611
OS Northings: 168610
OS Grid: TQ146686
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.CHN
Mapcode Global: VHFTS.TYDB
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 4 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489732
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT8
District Council Ward: Molesey East
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: East Molesey St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
374/0/10087 CHURCH ROAD
04-NOV-02 EAST MOLESEY
CHURCH OF ST PAUL
Church. Designed in 1854, Architects Salter and Laforest, on land donated by Francis Jackson Kent. Gothic style, much influenced by ecclesiologists. Built of Kentish ragstone rubble with slate roof (bands of blue and green slates) and tower with stone spire. The nave and aisle, probably designed by Samuel Salter were completed by 24th February 1856, the south aisle added 1860-1, the north aisle added in 1864, the nave extended in 1870, all by the same firm and the tower and spire added by Stephen Salter in 1887. Parish Room added 1975 on north side and small C20 organ blow room to west end of nave.
PLAN: Three bay nave with lower aisles and lower three bay chancel, south porch and south west tower with stone spire.
EXTERIOR: Tower of three stages with buttresses and crockets. Octagonal stair turret with Caernarvon-arched door, simple lancets except to bell stage which has arched openings with corbels, colonnettes and double trefoil windows with circular opening above and wooden louvres. Stone spire with lucarnes, band of circles and copper weathervane. West end of nave has large traceried window and small late C20 organ blow room below. Aisles have traceried windows separated by buttresses. South porch gabled with triple trefoliated window to east, arch with ball flower moulding and colonnettes, pierced wooden gates and tiled floor. Chancel has trefoliated lancets to north and south and large traceried east window.
INTERIOR: Internal wood and stained glass porch of c1910. Arch braced roofs to nave and aisles supported on floral carved corbels. Arcade with pointed arches and octagonal granite columns with stiffleaf capitals. Octagonal pulpit of 1864 with arches and marble colonnettes. Original box pews and encaustic tiled floors to centre and ends of nave. Baptistery under tower has font, three Kempe stained glass windows of 1891 depicting John the Baptist, Moses and the Crucifixion and a Gothic style wall memorial to the Kent family. War Memorial in west of north aisle in form of an archway with altar and painted canvas initialled LDS and RTC depicting St George rescuing a maiden of Flanders with smaller scenes showing the White Cliffs of Dover and a ruined town. East end of north aisle has Epiphany scene with Kempe stained glass. Glass in east end of south aisle may be by the firm Lavers and Westlake. Also in South aisle is Resurrection by Mayer and co. of Munich. South east Lady Chapel, formerly organ loft, has cast iron gates. Large chancel arch with two tiers of columns. chancel screen has lower part of stone with marble colonnettes and elaborate metal railings above and central gates. Chancel has similar arch-braced roof but with a decorated band with quatrefoils and crenellations. Original choir stalls. Wooden sedilia on south wall and marble piscina to north wall. Fine encaustic tiles and mosaics behind the altar. East window of 1866 by Lavers and Westlake
HISTORY: St Paul's church replaced an earlier church which had been outgrown by the increasing population of East Molesey. Francis Jackson Kent who donated the land was a solicitor from Hampton who had bought up 300 acres of land in the area for sale for housing. The original organ was bought from the London Polytechnic in the 1860s but removed in 1961.
[Pevsner and Nairn "Buildings of England :Surrey" p205.]
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings