History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Altazimuth Pavilion at the Royal Observatory

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenwich West, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4773 / 51°28'38"N

Longitude: -0.0009 / 0°0'3"W

OS Eastings: 538926

OS Northings: 177270

OS Grid: TQ389772

Mapcode National: GBR L1.QFJ

Mapcode Global: VHGR7.X4W9

Entry Name: Altazimuth Pavilion at the Royal Observatory

Listing Date: 21 August 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031860

English Heritage Legacy ID: 489754

Location: Greenwich, London, SE10

County: London

District: Greenwich

London Borough Ward: Greenwich West

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Deptford

Listing Text


786/0/10144 Altazimuth Pavilion at the Royal
21-AUG-02 Observatory

GV II

Altazimuth house incorporating garden shelter. Circa 1899. In grounds of New Physical Laboratory built between 1890 and 1899, in same style and probably by same hand, William Crisp in close collaboration with W H M Christie, Astronomer Royal. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with terracotta decoration and roof covered in C20 synthetic roof covering. Comprises one storey polygonal structure, open to one side with elaborate porches at each side and central dome with elaborate cast iron finial with sun emblem and coved cornice with oculi to observe stars and planets. North west side has five sashes with horns and only the upper parts glazed. Porches have terracotta moulding of triglyphs and paterae, elaborate console brackets and oculus above a terracotta doorcase with engaged fluted and rusticated Tuscan columns and entablature with triglyphs and eared architrave with panel inscribed "ALTAZIMUTH". There are interior panels and double doors with eight panels, the top two panels glazed and three concrete steps. Elaborate octagonal cast iron lamps with star finial on either side of porches. South east side is a garden shelter with five open cambered arches, ribbed ceiling and wooden seats. Three steps to ground. Interior not seen.
An altazimuth is a structure for measuring the altitude and azimuth of a celestial body.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.