This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3924 / 51°23'32"N
Longitude: -0.3159 / 0°18'57"W
OS Eastings: 517266
OS Northings: 167271
OS Grid: TQ172672
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.308
Mapcode Global: VHGRG.G8TG
Entry Name: Lambeth Uncovered Coalstore Including Tower and Attached Tunnels
Listing Date: 21 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031864
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489758
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT6
District: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Long Ditton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Surbiton St Andrew and St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
59/0/10070 PORTSMOUTH ROAD
21-AUG-02 Lambeth uncovered coalstore including
tower and attached tunnels, Seething W
Uncovered coal store with tower and attached underground tunnels. Built in 1851-2, designed by James Simpson for the Lambeth Waterworks in Romanesque style. Some minor C20 alterations. This comprises a roughly rectangular unroofed enclosure with an hydraulic accumulator tower at the north west end and attached tunnels. Built of stock brick with walls about 12 feet high with stone coping. North west side centre has an ornamental square tower of two stages with crenellated parapet, blank panels to the upper stage similar panel containing imitation arrowslit windows and Romanesque style round-headed arches to the lower stage. To the left is a panel with two round-headed arches. To the right is a similar panel but replaced with a flat arch with double doors. The sides have three large panels with stepped cornice. To the rear are two inserted C20 flat arches with vertical shuttered doors.
HISTORY: This structure was capable of storing 1500 tons of coal. It has underground tunnels which connected with a track underneath the Portsmouth Road to a crane by a riverside wharf which brought the coal by river.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings