This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0003 / 53°0'0"N
Longitude: -2.1977 / 2°11'51"W
OS Eastings: 386828
OS Northings: 344788
OS Grid: SJ868447
Mapcode National: GBR MFM.T0
Mapcode Global: WHBCT.6VQ9
Entry Name: Penkhull Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489759
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST4
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Unitary Authority Ward: Penkhull and Stoke
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Penkhull St Thomas the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STOKE ON TRENT
SJ84SE GARDEN STREET
21-AUG-02 (South side)
Farmhouse. Late C18, some mid C19 alteration and extension. Brick, cement rendered (lined out as ashlar block) to front and rear wing; gabled plain tile roofs, with rendered end stacks to front and brick stack at junction of rear wings. T-shaped plan with rear wing having lean-to to its E and mid C19 block extending at right angles to W. 2 storeys. 4-window S front with lintels over half-glazed mid C19 panelled door and horned glazing bar sashes (3/6 to first floor, 6/6 below); similar sashes to mid C19 canted bay window on right. Late C19 and C20 timber casements to rear, except E elevation which has 3/6-pane sash and, to gable end of rear cross wing, stepped lintel over small-paned timber casement.
Interior: the interior has been little altered since the C19. Features include late C18 moulded cornicing and joinery, including panelled doors and shutters in moulded architraves with original fitments. Simple classical fireplaces with late C18 and mid C19 cast iron grates, that to parlour having mid C19 overmantle mirror. Panelled earth closet. Stairhall with elliptical arch on moulded brackets: fine staircase with stick balusters to open-string and wreathed handrail.
History: the house probably dates from soon after 1780, when Josiah Spode II leased the farm. It changed ownership in 1830 with the sale of farm stock to John Smith, and was bought by John Pilkington in 1855.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings