This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1799 / 51°10'47"N
Longitude: -3.5202 / 3°31'12"W
OS Eastings: 293839
OS Northings: 143390
OS Grid: SS938433
Mapcode National: GBR LG.5XQW
Mapcode Global: VH5K3.XLWW
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 10 September 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489766
Location: Wootton Courtenay, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Wootton Courtenay
Built-Up Area: Wootton Courtenay
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
444/0/10006 Manor House
House. Circa early-mid C17; remodelled and extended C18; C20 alterations. Rendered stone and cob. Slate roof with gabled and hipped ends. Stone rubble lateral stacks at rear with set-offs and gable-end stack, all with later brick shafts.
PLAN: 3-room and through-passage plan, the hall heated from a fireplace in a lateral stack at the back, large inner room/parlour on left with gable-end fireplace and low east [right] end probably originally unheated. Remodelled and extended C18, when front wall [dated 1763] of high end was rebuilt forward of the original wall, a wing was added to the rear of the high end, the end of the wing an outbuilding, and a lateral stack built at the rear of the formerly unheated low end room, which was subdivided axially in the C20.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south front; two windows on left in projecting high end of house with inscription under eaves, M H 1763; C20 2-light casements with leaded panes; open-fronted porch in angle to right of centre with slate lean-to canopy and original ovolo-moulded wooden doorframe, the head cut away to take larger plank door with cover-moulds and wrought-iron strap hinges. Rear north, main range has two stone lateral stacks with set-offs and brick shafts; porch in angle of long wing on right, which has circa early C19 3-light casement on first floor with leaded panes.
INTERIOR: Through-passage has small hatch in ceiling and plank-and-muntin screen on upper side with scratch-moulded muntins; similar screen between hall and parlour with ovolo-moulded head-beam. Hall has deeply-chamfered axial beam and half-beam at front with large hollow step stops, fireplace at back with dressed stone jambs and later cambered stone arch and circa early C19 panelled window shutters. Parlour ceiled and with C18 field-panel window shutters. Re-used Tudor arch doorframe behind parlour, by staircase with stick balustrade and chamfered newels. C18 roof over main front range has principals halved and crossed at apex and halved, lapped and pegged collars. Similarly constructed roof to rear wing.
An interesting example of a circa early-mid C17 house, remodelled in the C18.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings