This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2038 / 52°12'13"N
Longitude: -3.0287 / 3°1'43"W
OS Eastings: 329797
OS Northings: 256672
OS Grid: SO297566
Mapcode National: GBR F5.37CK
Mapcode Global: VH778.GV6Y
Entry Name: Kington Library, Formerly the Old Radnor Trading Company Headquarters
Listing Date: 17 September 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031885
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489779
Location: Kington, County of Herefordshire, HR5
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Kington
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Kington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
643-1/0/10003 BRIDGE STREET
Kington Library, formerly the Old Radn
or Trading Company Headquarters
Offices and showroom. 1905, by C.S. Delfosse for the Old Radnor Lime, Roadstone and General Trading Company. Precast concrete; roof not visible. Clasical style. 2 storeys. Corner site, comprising 5 windows onto Duke Street and two onto Bridge Street. Plate-glass sashes. Balustraded parapet, with urns over panels to each bay division. Modillioned cornice. First floor has ashlar finish, and plate-glass sashes in moulded architraves. Moulded string with Greek key frieze over rusticated ground floor, the segmental arches over the windows having voussoirs and keyblocks with relief scrolls. Vermiculated quoins flank curved entrance bay to centre; double-leaf panelled doors set in Gibbs surround with vermiculated blocks and relief-moulded keyblock; blank parapet surmounted by pediment with date in tympanum. Ornamental air bricks. Interior: moulded cornicing and original joinery including panelled doors; walnut desk counter; etched glass with Greek key margins and central company logo.
History: this building occupies a pivotal corner site in the centre of this town. The Old Radnor Lime, Roadstone and General Trading Company, set up in 1875, acquired a strong reputation for the quality of their precast concrete, being awarded the gold medal at the National Trades Industrial Exhibition in 1897. Decorative precast concrete had been used on a limited scale since the mid 19th century, this being a particularly ornate example made to resemble granite.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings