This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3805 / 51°22'49"N
Longitude: 0.5223 / 0°31'20"E
OS Eastings: 575623
OS Northings: 167619
OS Grid: TQ756676
Mapcode National: GBR PPW.DVC
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.0KGL
Entry Name: 19, Maidstone Road
Listing Date: 27 September 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489802
Location: Medway, ME4
Unitary Authority Ward: Chatham Central
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Chatham St Mary and St John
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
762-1/0/10004 MAIDSTONE ROAD
Cottage. Circa 1820 with mid C19 addition to north. Timberframed, clad in weatherboarding with hipped tiled roof and brick chimneystacks. Original part of two storeys two windows with north addition of two storeys one window.
EXTERIOR: Front elevation retains original architraves throughout and the ground floor retains original 16-pane sashes. First floor sashes have been replaced by C20 casements. To the centre is an original porch with ogee-headed timber roof with acorn finial and latticework panels. Original six-panelled door with door knocker and stone steps. The south side has a single window on the ground floor with original surround but a replacement casement window. The rear or east side has a pair of brick chimneystacks set flush with the wall. The northern stack remains intact with chimneypots but the southern stack has been removed above eaves level. There is a small casemnt window between the two chimneystacks. To the north is a set back one bay mid C19 extension, also clad in weatherboarding with a hipped slate roof and with one original casement window.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: A structure is shown on this site on the 1843 Tithe Map. 1866 edition of the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map shows both the building and the north extension clearly together with a large carefully laid out garden. At the time the property was known as Gibraltar Cottage. The building is shown surrounded by fields to the south, a chalk pit to the east and a blacksmith's shop to the north.
Charles Dickens lived nearby at Ordnance Place between 1817 and 1821, and played in the fields which were later replaced by the railway and station as is mentioned in one of his magazine articles and he may have seen the building before the family moved to London.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings