This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3088 / 52°18'31"N
Longitude: -1.0222 / 1°1'20"W
OS Eastings: 466759
OS Northings: 268306
OS Grid: SP667683
Mapcode National: GBR 9T0.6D7
Mapcode Global: VHDRQ.77FD
Entry Name: East Haddon Hall
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Last Amended: 8 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360133
Location: East Haddon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: East Haddon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: East Haddon and Holdenby St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP6668 EAST HADDON MAIN STREET
18/144 East Haddon Hall
02/11/54 (Formerly listed as
East Haddon Hall (Girls
School) and Gateway)
Country house. c.1780-1, for Sawbridge family. By John Johnson of Leicester,
builder: John Wagstaff. Limestone ashlar with lead and slate roof. Double
pile plan. 3 storeys; south front: 5-window range symmetrical with central
entrance having C19 porch. Tripartite sash above entrance with a blank
lunette above decorated with thin garlands. Similar panel decoration between
first- and second-floor windows. Other windows are sashes with glazing bars,
reducing at second floor. Rusticated ground floor. Central pediment at
parapet level. Hipped roof not visible. West and north fronts similar of
4- and 5-window range respectively, without central pediment, French doors
at ground floor on north elevation. East front modified C20 by removal of
C19 domestic wing. Interior: Double elliptical central staircase with wrought
iron balustrade and plasterwork panelling to walls. Entrance hall has
Rococo plasterwork ceiling with similar decoration over fireplace alcove.
Dining room on north front has Adam style ceiling with similar decoration
to walls and doorcases. The house is set in gardens laid out by Gertrude
Jekyll and Lutyens 1897, of which only fragments remain. (q.v. Sundial
approx 15m west of East Haddon Hall.)
(The Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.198).
Listing NGR: SP6675968306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings