This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5213 / 52°31'16"N
Longitude: 1.6729 / 1°40'22"E
OS Eastings: 649265
OS Northings: 297834
OS Grid: TM492978
Mapcode National: GBR YSB.XDC
Mapcode Global: VHM66.YW7J
Entry Name: Remains of Winter Garden of Somerleyton Hall
Listing Date: 29 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282404
Location: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32
Civil Parish: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Somerleyton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
SOMERLEYTON SOMERLEYTON PARK
TM 49 NE
4/53 Remains of Winter Garden
of Somerleyton Hall
Remains of the Winter Garden which was attached to the north of Somerleyton
Hall. Circa 1846, by John Thomas for Sir Morton Peto. Red brick with stone
dressings. The north and east colonnaded corridors survive, the latter
glazed. There are moulded semi-circular arches with keys and a stone cornice
and pierced parapet supported on bracket capitals in the form of sculptured
female heads adorned with wreaths. The parapet was originally surmounted by
urns. To the north is a symmetrical 9-bay facade stepped forward in 3
sections to an entrance with flanking paired columns. The inner entrance to
the east range is flanked by female figures in niches. Both corridors contain
sculpture which decorated the gardens, notably: 2 Spanish Dancers (by J.
Hautman of Munich); Venus at Her Toilet, The Sitting Nymph, Pandora (?) (by A.
Hautman of Florence), Hymen (by Bystrom of Rome) and others by Thomas. The
Winter Garden, elaborately heated and lit by gas, was described in the estate
sale catalogue (1861) as 'a crystal building in the Renaissance style with
mosque dome' and 'unsurpassed by anything of its kind in Europe'. Both the
Winter Garden and adjoining Palm House were largely dismantled in 1914. The
surrounding park and gardens are included in the HBMC County Register of
Gardens at Grade II*.
Listing NGR: TM4926597834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings