History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Wall of Former Palm House Including Garden Boundary Walling Attached to West

A Grade II Listed Building in Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5211 / 52°31'16"N

Longitude: 1.6723 / 1°40'20"E

OS Eastings: 649227

OS Northings: 297813

OS Grid: TM492978

Mapcode National: GBR YSB.X78

Mapcode Global: VHM66.XWYN

Entry Name: North Wall of Former Palm House Including Garden Boundary Walling Attached to West

Listing Date: 29 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282408

Location: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Somerleyton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Fritton Norfolk

Listing Text

SOMERLEYTON SOMERLEYTON PARK
TM 49 NE
4/57 North wall of former Palm
House including garden
boundary walling attached
to west
GV II
A length of retaining wall on the north east side of the formal gardens of
Somerleyton Hall. This formed the north wall of the Palm House although the
west end was outside the building. Circa 1846 by John Thomas for Sir Morton
Peto. Red brick with stone dressings; about 3m high. Flanking niches with
pediments atop the wall. 7 stone roundels, mostly carved with busts of
medieval characters. The wall is surmounted by stone urns and a central
feature. At the east end a return wall has 2 further roundels and a blind
semi-circular arch against which is a fine statue of a milkmaid by Joseph
Durham. By this statue there was formerly a drinking fountain. The attached
stone columns in front of the wall were added after the Palm House was
demolished in 1914. Attached to the west is a further length of boundary
walling to the formal gardens (see Item 4/56). This terminates in a square
pier with tall tapering stone finial crowned by a small urn, one of a pair
framing the vista down the lime avenue to the south. Listed for group value.
Forms part of a garden included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at
Grade II*.


Listing NGR: TM4922797813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.