History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kitchen Garden of Somerleyton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5226 / 52°31'21"N

Longitude: 1.6726 / 1°40'21"E

OS Eastings: 649239

OS Northings: 297979

OS Grid: TM492979

Mapcode National: GBR YSB.X9B

Mapcode Global: VHM66.YV3J

Entry Name: Kitchen Garden of Somerleyton Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282415

Location: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herring

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Somerleyton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Fritton Norfolk

Listing Text

SOMERLEYTON SOMERLEYTON PARK
TM 49 NE
4/64 Kitchen Garden of
Somerleyton Hall
GV II*
Walled kitchen garden. Circa 1846 for Sir Morton Peto. The glass cases and
ridge and furrow glasshouses are probably by Sir Joseph Paxton. A rectangle
of red brick walls 90m x 60m and 3.5-4m high. The south wall has a fine
central entrance portico in red brick with stone dressings: 4 pilasters
support a cornice capped by 2 stone urns, each containing a bronze aloe plant.
Entrance with wrought iron gates and a carved segmental panel above; to each
side of the entrance is a niche containing an urn. Against the south side of
the south wall are 2 fine identical ranges of glass cases, with entrances at
each end set forward. The cases have cast iron frames with vertically-glazed
wooden panels; cornice with cresting and cone finials. Against the south side
of the north wall are 2 matching ranges of lean-to glasshouses with ridge and
furrow roofs. The main frame of these is also of cast iron. Potting and
store sheds behind. The only other similar glass cases in the country by
Paxton are at Chatsworth. In the 1861 estate sale catalogue the cases were
described as 'Glass Wall Houses or Promenade Houses'. Forms part of a garden
included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at Grade II*.


Listing NGR: TM4923997979

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.