History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flixton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4293 / 52°25'45"N

Longitude: 1.3996 / 1°23'58"E

OS Eastings: 631211

OS Northings: 286693

OS Grid: TM312866

Mapcode National: GBR WL7.LPC

Mapcode Global: VHM6N.66RJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282264

Location: Flixton, Waveney, Suffolk, NR35

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Flixton (The Saints Ward)

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Flixton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Saint Margaret

Listing Text

FLIXTON BY BUNGAY CHURCH ROAD
TM 38 NW
2/4 Church of St. Mary
1.9.53

- II*

Parish church. Although a church is mentioned at Flixton in the Domesday
survey (1086) little trace of that remains; the present building was almost
completely reconstructed at various times in the C19. Black knapped flint
with lavish stone dressings; lead roofs with battlemented guttering. Nave,
chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. The west tower, 1856, by
Salvin, replaces the earlier tower, said to be Saxon, which collapsed. It is
built in a Saxo-Norman style, with 2-light Saxon windows to the top stage and
a helm roof, plaintiled, and surmounted by a weathercock. Salvin considered
that there was sufficient evidence from the earlier remains to postulate a
helm roof, of which only one authentic example, at Sompting, Sussex, exists in
England; a sketch of the building made by Isaac Johnson in 1818 does not
support the assumption. Nave of 1861, with gabled buttresses in C14 style and
2-light traceried windows. Chancel of 1894 in an oppressive Romanesque style
with single-light round-headed and circular windows and a Lombardic frieze
below the eaves. The interior of the nave and the north aisle have benches
with good poppy-head bench-ends. The early C14 north arcade is the only part
of the medieval structure to survive: in 4 bays, with piers of quatrefoil
section and arches with 2 wave mouldings. Small C16 octagonal pulpit on a
slender base, with a double row of square panels, some with heraldic carving,
some with linenfold. On the nave floor, a small brass to Elizabeth, wife of
John Tasburgh, d.1583, and various black ledger slabs, those of the C17 to
members of the Tasburgh family, those of later date to the Adairs. 2 tablets
on the south wall of the nave, one to William Adair, d.1783, with a relief of
the Good Samaritan. 3 C18 marble and stone tablets on the north wall. At the
back of the north aisle, a small octagonal memorial chapel in Early English
style with groined stone roof, erected in 1895 to the memory of Theodosia,
Lady Waveney, d.1871. It contains a life-size kneeling figure of Lady
Waveney, a major work of John Bell.


Listing NGR: TM3121186693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.