History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Homersfield Bridge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Alburgh, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4219 / 52°25'18"N

Longitude: 1.3572 / 1°21'25"E

OS Eastings: 628367

OS Northings: 285740

OS Grid: TM283857

Mapcode National: GBR WLC.1Y9

Mapcode Global: VHL95.GDV6

Entry Name: Homersfield Bridge

Listing Date: 3 June 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031993

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282269

Location: Alburgh, South Norfolk, Norfolk, IP20

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Alburgh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Alburgh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Alburgh

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:

HOMERSFIELD
TM 28 NE
1/9 Homersfield Bridge

3.6.81

- II

The grade shall be upgraded to grade II*, and the description shall be amended to
read:

Bridge, dated to 1869. Architect Henry Eyton, constructed by Messrs Phillips for
the Flixton estate. Composite wrought iron and concrete construction, cast iron
balustrade. Of single span with segmental arch. The wrought iron is expressed on
the arch face and at the level of the carriageway. Otherwise the internal cross
members, now visible due to rust staining were originally encased in mass
concrete. The soffit of the bridge is composed of this, finished fairface, as are
the spandrels which have readed panels. The open balustrade is of cast iron
bolted to the wrought iron top member. Balusters with spiral nailhead ribbon
decoration carry wide St Andrews crosses with guillocke ornament. At the inter-
section of each cross is a medallion initialled S.A. (Sir Shafto Adair, Bart).
The moulded cast iron handrails carry ball finials above each baluster. On one
side the handrail is embossed with a small panel "HM EYTON, architect". At the
centre of each face of the bridge cast iron sheilds with the arms of the Adair
family. The roadway edge is of york stone paviours, finished with roll nosing
above the bridge faces. At each end of the bridge the balustrade terminates in
short brick piers with rectangular York stone caps. Repair drawings from 1907
record that the bridge was padlocked with a chain each year at a time of flood "So
as to force people to pay the toll...2d each is charged". The composite construc-
tion of the bridge makes it an early forerunner of modern reinforced concrete
structures. At the time of this description (Feb 1989) the bridge is the subject
of a joint conservation project involving Norfolk Historic Building Trust and
Suffolk Preservation Society. Sources:-Copies of construction drawings together
with contractors and architects letters dated December,1869 ; Norfolk County
Council Highways Department; Suffolk Preservation Society Newsletter Winter
1986-7, p.3.

NB This building is also listed in the District of South Norfolk, Norfolk, and is
situated in the parishes of Aldburgh and Wortwell. See the 6th amendement to the
30th list of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic: Interest in the
District of South Norfolk as at 26 6 81.

------------------------------------

HOMERSFIELD
TM 28 NE
1/9 Homersfield Bridge

3.6.81

- II

A single span road bridge over the river Waveney, now converted to a foot
bridge. Circa 1870. By H.M. Eyton for Sir Shafto Adair. In pre-cast
concrete with cast iron parapets. The spandrels of the supporting arch have
reeded panels, and in the centre is a cast iron shield. The parapets are in
open panels,, originally 13 on each side, though almost all are missing on the
west. Each panel has a wide St. Andrew's Cross with guilloche ornament and a
circle at the intersection with the initials SA. Between the panels are short
pillars with diagonal banding. The short sections of moulded handrail are
linked by raised knobs; the centre section on the east side has a small panel
with 'H.M. Eyton, Architect' on it. At each end of the bridge the parapets
are embedded in short plain red brick pillars. Two rows of mid-C20 concrete
posts and metal rails have been set inside the original parapets to prevent
vehicles using the bridge. This is said to be the earliest use of precast
concrete for a bridge in England.


Listing NGR: TM2836785740

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.