History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. Mary, South Elmham Otherwise Homersfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4188 / 52°25'7"N

Longitude: 1.3597 / 1°21'35"E

OS Eastings: 628559

OS Northings: 285398

OS Grid: TM285853

Mapcode National: GBR WLC.8LB

Mapcode Global: VHL95.JG6M

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1031994

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282272

Location: St. Mary, South Elmham Otherwise Homersfield, Waveney, Suffolk, IP20

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: St. Mary, South Elmham Otherwise Homersfield

Civil Parish/community: St Mary, South Elmham Otherwise Homersfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Homersfield St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Saint Cross

Listing Text

HOMERSFIELD CHURCH LANE
TM 28 NE

1/12 Church of St. Mary

1.9.53

- II*

Parish church. C12, C14 and C15, extensively restored in 1866. Nave,
chancel, west tower and south porch. In random flint, with traces of old
render; freestone dressings, slate roofs. Stepped buttresses to nave and
chancel. One Norman slit window with deep inner splay on south side of nave;
the remainder 2- and 3-light, in various styles, one with flowing tracery,
another with a flat Tudor hood-mould. All have been repaired, but not
replaced, and are filled with diamond-leaded clear glass, some old. A 3-light
C14 east window with panel tracery. South porch, basically C14, but heavily
Victorianised. Small unbuttressed west tower in 3 stages, wit:h a string
course between the 2nd and 3rd stages and a simple crenellated top. A Norman
slit window on the west side of the 2nd stage and Y-tracery windows to each
face of the top stage. Interior almost entirely of 1866: arch-braced roofs in
traditional style, benches, pulpit and lectern, and all the chancel fittings,
of that date. Square font in Norman style; double piscina in chancel in Early
English style, perhaps a copy of what was there before. Plain pointed chancel
arch and tower arch, rendered. A mid-C18 black ledger slab on the chancel
floor.


Listing NGR: TM2855985398

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.