This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3936 / 52°23'37"N
Longitude: 1.4227 / 1°25'21"E
OS Eastings: 632968
OS Northings: 282802
OS Grid: TM329828
Mapcode National: GBR WLN.SLT
Mapcode Global: VHM6V.L3YC
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031997
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282281
Location: All Saints and St. Nicholas, South Elmham, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19
Civil Parish: All Saints and St. Nicholas, S
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Rumburgh with South Elmham All Saints St Michael and All Angels and St Felix
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
SOUTH ELMHAM ALL SAINTS CHURCH LANE
TM 38 SW ALL SAINTS & ST. NICHOLAS (OFF)
4/21 Church of All Saints
Former parish church, now in the care of the Redundant Churches Board. C12
and C14 with some C15 and C17 features, considerably restored in 1870.
Continuous nave and chancel; south aisle and south porch; round west tower.
In random flint with freestone dressings and lead roof. On the north side, 3
single-light round-headed Norman windows with deep internal splays; 2 C14
single-light cusped windows, and 2 C13 2-light windows with cusped plate
tracery. 3 Y-tracery windows to the south aisle, which extends the full
length of the nave and chancel. 3-light east window with intersecting
tracery. North doorway removed, and opening blocked. The small round west
tower is in 3 stages, the top stage rebuilt, with battlemented top. In the
lowest stage the rubble flint is coursed, and there is a Norman west window
with deep inner splay. Small, round-headed windows to the second stage. The
south porch is basically medieval, with a facade of flint and stone chequer
work, but heavily Victorianised. Simple Victorian Romanesque south doorway.
Interior with a C14 arcade between the south aisle and the body of the church:
in that part of the arcade beside the chancel, the arches have been pushed up
into a stilted form. Piscina in chancel in much restored Early English style:
recesses to each side of it, that on the east, with a drain, is almost to
ground level. C12 font with large square bowl decorated with shallow blank
arches, central column, and 4 small outer colonettes on a rectangular
scalloped base. At the back of the nave, 2 small C15 benches with poppyheads
and animals on the arm-rests. These were formerly in the porch, and are very
weathered. The remaining nave benches have poppyheads only: some C15, and
some good C19 reproduction. Above the door to the tower stair, in the north-
west corner of the nave, a C15 stone panel with shield and elaborate leaf
surround in high relief. A wide door to the tower arch is made of elaborately
carved Jacobean panels, with some later replacements. The remaining interior
fittings are Victorian. C15 roof to the nave in 5 bays, with arched braces
and high cambered collars. The chancel roof, much restored in C19, has
arched-braced collars and moulded purlins and appears basically C17.
Listing NGR: TM3296882802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings