This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4268 / 52°25'36"N
Longitude: 1.5703 / 1°34'12"E
OS Eastings: 642825
OS Northings: 286974
OS Grid: TM428869
Mapcode National: GBR XMS.V46
Mapcode Global: VHM6R.58HG
Entry Name: High House
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Last Amended: 27 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032010
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282203
Location: Weston, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34
Civil Parish: Weston
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ellough and Weston St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
WESTON LONDON ROAD
TM 48 NW
5/52 High House ( formerly
listed as Weston Cottage)
House, perhaps originally a summer-house. Mid C17, for Thomas Rede (1613-81)
of Weston Hall, whose initials are in wrought iron on one gable end. Mid C20
single-storey additions. Red brick, with rusticated quoins. Pantiled roof.
2 storeys and attic. 2 bays x 1 bay. The window openings have semi-circular
drip moulds in brick and tile, with small brick dentils below; on the east
gable end the drip moulds are segmental. On the north side is a central
doorway, now bricked up, with rusticated surround and a similar drip mould
enclosing a central feature of raised and moulded brick. Mid C20 windows in
original openings. Against the south wall is a heavy, tapering external
stack, the upper portion rebuilt mid C20. The interior comprises a single
chamber on ground and first floors. The ground floor ceiling is divided into
6 panels, with moulded plaster casing to the beams. The ceiling of the upper
chamber has similarly-moulded panels and some good ornamental plasterwork: on
the underside of the beams is a running design of 4-petalled flowers and
foliage, and around the room is a frieze of small masks, swags and 4-petalled
flowers. At the time of survey (April 1985) both ceilings were damaged and
blackened following a recent fire. According to Suckling's 'The History and
Antiquities of the County of Suffolk'(1846) it was originally much loftier,
but there are no signs of alteration.
Listing NGR: TM4282586974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings