History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. John, Ilketshall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.435 / 52°26'6"N

Longitude: 1.4707 / 1°28'14"E

OS Eastings: 636018

OS Northings: 287563

OS Grid: TM360875

Mapcode National: GBR XMN.6PJ

Mapcode Global: VHM6P.F2W3

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032020

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282234

Location: St. John, Ilketshall, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: St. John, Ilketshall

Civil Parish/community: St John, Ilketshall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ilketshall St John

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bungay

Listing Text

ILKETSHALL ST. JOHN
TM 38 NE
2/17 Church of St. John the
Baptist
1.9.53
- II*
Parish church. C13 and later, restored in 1860. In random flints with stone
dressings, but stone quoins only to the tower; slate roofs. Continuous nave
and chancel; south porch and west tower; there is evidence for considerable
medieval alteration to the fabric: the chancel was extended, and the roofs
appear to have been raised. 4 2-light windows with flowing tracery to the
south side of nave and chancel, restored, but not completed replaced. Above
the arch of the south-west window are 2 blocks of reused stone with Norman
chevron ornament; these may come from the blocked north doorway. 3 lancets on
north side, 2 C19 insertions, but that in the chancel C13. 3-light east
window with C19 memorial glass; the stonework given by King Edward VII while
Prince of Wales. The small unbuttressed C15 west tower has a crenellated and
stepped parapet with flushwork. South doorway with ogee-moulded continuous
arch below a hood mould. Victorianised interior. Plastered roofs, with
moulded timber cornice to nave, and in the chancel with applied wooden ribs.
There is no chancel arch, but the junction of nave and chancel is marked by an
unusual carved timber decoration in the ceiling with droplets, and a wheel at
each end, one with mouchettes, the other with daggers. C15 octagonal font:
alternating Tudor roses and blank shields around the bowl, supported by 4
seated lions round the stem. In the south pier of the tower arch, a long
recess for a banner stave locker. By the south door, one Jacobean bench with
Ionic poppyheads to ends. Royal Arms of William IV on the north wall.


Listing NGR: TM3601887563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.