History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Barsham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4521 / 52°27'7"N

Longitude: 1.5255 / 1°31'31"E

OS Eastings: 639647

OS Northings: 289638

OS Grid: TM396896

Mapcode National: GBR XMJ.8HN

Mapcode Global: VHM6J.DMBL

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Last Amended: 27 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032029

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282155

Location: Barsham, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Barsham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Barsham Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Geldeston

Listing Text

TM 38 NE
4/4
1-9-53


BARSHAM
The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as The Rectory)


GV
II


House, formerly the rectory. Late C16/early C17 with late C17 crosswing and
C18 range to right. Extended to rear mid C20. Oldest central part timber
framed and plastered; projecting brick crosswing to left with shaped stuccoed
gable; C18 range in red brick, partly plastered. Roofs plaintiled to front
and pantiled to rear. 2 storeys and attic. The windows are mainly C20 3-
light casements, a range of 6 in total; on the ground floor there is an early
C19 3-light splayed bay with sash windows and a modillion cornice. Early C19
doorway in front gable end: entrance door with 2 raised and fielded lower
panels, and 16 small panes above; open stuccoed porch on columns. 2 flat-
roofed dormers. The crosswing has an external stack, the upper half rebuilt;
gable stack to later range. One room in the centre range has 2 ovolo-moulded
bridging beams and exposed plain joists. In the crosswing a similarly-
moulded bridging beam with carved barred stop-chamfers is evidently re-used.
At the rear of this wing a wide early C19 stair with partly missing stick
balusters. In the C18 range one bedroom has some softwood panelling and a
fireplace with eared surround. Birthplace of historian Laurence Echard (1671-
1730) and of CatherineSuckling mother of Lord Nelson, in 1725. Alfred
Suckling the county historian was rector 1839-1856.


Listing NGR: TM3964789638

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.