This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4043 / 52°24'15"N
Longitude: 1.5389 / 1°32'20"E
OS Eastings: 640819
OS Northings: 284365
OS Grid: TM408843
Mapcode National: GBR XN3.CVM
Mapcode Global: VHM6Q.MTFR
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032042
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282184
Location: Redisham, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34
Civil Parish: Redisham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Redisham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 48 SW
8/33 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Medieval, restored mid C19. Nave, chancel, south porch.
Flint rubble with the remains of plasterwork; the porch and later alterations
are in red brick. Slated roof to nave, glazed black pantiles to chancel. At
the east end of the nave the angles are partly composed of field stones,
suggesting the fabric is Cll or earlier. Fine C12 south doorway with one
order of spiral-fluted colonnettes with scalloped capitals and an arch with 2
orders of chevrons (one interlaced) and an outer order of drums with cross
decoration; down the outside of the jambs is a billet-type frieze of raised
semicircles. Good early door to nave with original ironwork. Simpler C12
north doorway, now blocked: one order of colonnettes with scalloped capitals
and a chevron arch with an outer band of raised semicircles. The nave has one
restored 2-light Y-traceried window to the north and a renewed 2-light south
window. The walls have been heightened in red brick, perhaps during the mid
C19 restoration, and a weatherboarded bell turret added at the west end of the
roof. The porch has been rebuilt and incorporates part of the original
entrance arch. C14 chancel with 2 broad trefoil-headed lancet windows to the
south; 2-light east window. Interior. Simple piscina in south chancel wall.
C15 octagonal font, the foiled bowl panels carved with flowers alternating
with shields. Square oak pulpit dated 1619, with a bookboard on scrolled
brackets. 4 benches in the chancel have C15 poppyhead ends, 2 with carved
arm-rests. Graded I for early fabric and good C12 work.
Listing NGR: TM4081984365
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings