History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spexhall House

A Grade II Listed Building in Spexhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3675 / 52°22'2"N

Longitude: 1.4915 / 1°29'29"E

OS Eastings: 637789

OS Northings: 280120

OS Grid: TM377801

Mapcode National: GBR XNF.KW7

Mapcode Global: VHM6W.SRVG

Entry Name: Spexhall House

Listing Date: 23 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032047

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282093

Location: Spexhall, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Spexhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Spexhall St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Halesworth

Listing Text


TM 38 SE SPEXHALL CHURCH LANE

2/19 Spexhall House
-

- II

Former parsonage house. C17 core; modernised in early C19; front dated 1822
with initials R.C. for Richard Crutwell, Ll.B., the then incumbent. Timber-
framed, encased in early C19 red brick on front and sides, painted on the
front only; plastered rear; black glazed pantiles to front slope of roof, clay
pantiles to rear slope. An internal chimney-stack with a large plain red
brick shaft. 2 storeys and attics. Most windows are of the early C18: 3-light
casement type with transomes, square leaded panes, and pintle hinges; one
cross window in the same style. These seem to have been reset in the brick
front from an earlier phase of the house. Dating from 1822 are the 2 canted
bay windows to the ground floor, one on the front and the other on the south
end, with pointed Gothick tracery to the lights, and the single-light window
in the same style beside the entrance door; also the entrance doorway with
reeded architrave, entablature, and panelled linings. Door with 6 flush
panels. No earlier features are said to be visible inside the house, but the
overall form suggests a basic 3-cell internal chimney house with cross-entry.
The entrance door may well be still in its original position. A 2-storey
extension at the rear, parallel with the front, of circa 1870, in red brick
with clay pantiles.


Listing NGR: TM3778980120

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.