History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairstead Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Spexhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3625 / 52°21'44"N

Longitude: 1.4993 / 1°29'57"E

OS Eastings: 638348

OS Northings: 279590

OS Grid: TM383795

Mapcode National: GBR XNG.V5N

Mapcode Global: VHM6W.XWZ9

Entry Name: Fairstead Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282105

Location: Spexhall, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Spexhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Spexhall St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Halesworth

Listing Text


TM 37 NE SPEXHALL WASH LANE

5/31 Fairstead Farmhouse

1-9-53
- II

Farmhouse. Late C16. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed, with timbers
exposed on the front; plaintiled roofs. An internal chimney-stack with 4
attached hexagonal shafts on a square base, and a later plain stack added on
what was formerly the end of the house, dated 1698. Spaced across the front
are 4 full height Edwardian bays with brick bases and mullion-and-transom
windows to each storey. In the roof, 4 hipped dormers with tile-hung cheeks
and diamond leaded casement windows. This range has a basic 3-cell internal
chimney and cross-passage form, but the 2 cross-passage doorways have been
blocked and replaced by a lobby-entrance. A plank and muntin screen dividing
off the entry from the hall is still in situ. Plain timbering and ceilings
exposed inside: the main posts have long jowls, and there was tension bracing
in the partition walls. The roof has clasped side purlins. An archway has
been cut through the base of the internal stack to give access to a stair.
The date on the end stack relates to converting the unheated service area into
a heated kitchen. At the rear, a long 2-storey range, possibly originally a
granary, has been converted into living accommodation, and linked to the main
house by an Edwardian extension. There is also a lean-to corridor of the same
date running along the back of the main house. These were designed by Louis
Sarel, the architect responsible for the extensions to Spexhall Manor.


Listing NGR: TM3834879590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.