History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rookery

A Grade II Listed Building in Gisleham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4218 / 52°25'18"N

Longitude: 1.6875 / 1°41'14"E

OS Eastings: 650820

OS Northings: 286824

OS Grid: TM508868

Mapcode National: GBR YVD.1H2

Mapcode Global: VHM6T.6DG8

Entry Name: The Rookery

Listing Date: 17 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032074

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282048

Location: Gisleham, Waveney, Suffolk, NR33

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Gisleham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Gisleham Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Henstead

Listing Text

GISLEHAM BLACK STREET
TM 58 NW
3/19
- The Rookery

- II

Farmhouse. Late C16 core, with considerable later alterations, including
early C18 facade and mid C19 range to rear. Timber framed core, red brick
exterior with roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys and attic. Probably
originally 3-cell form: it would appear that the left hand end of the house
was removed in C17, when the present brick gable ends were added. 4 windows,
inset mid C20 sashes of white aluminium, under modern soldier-course arches;
flanking pilaster strips. Doorway with 6-panel entrance door (the upper 2
panels glazed) and pedimented hood. Flat parapet (rebuilt mid C20). Gable
end stacks. The right hand gable end has pairs of original segmental-headed
windows at 3 levels. Exposed joists, chamfered on the ground floor. The
floorbeam in the left hand room bears 4 carved dates: 1590, 1667, 1692, 1841;
part of this room now forms the entrance hall. Some framing is exposed in the
rear wall, with evidence for diamond-mullioned windows at first floor level.
There are 2 fireplaces with depressed brick arches. The roof has clasped and
butt purlins with arched wind-bracing. A pump in the rear range is dated
1846.


Listing NGR: TM5082086824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.