History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Henstead with Hulver Street, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4218 / 52°25'18"N

Longitude: 1.6614 / 1°39'41"E

OS Eastings: 649048

OS Northings: 286730

OS Grid: TM490867

Mapcode National: GBR YVC.0W4

Mapcode Global: VHM6S.RD59

Entry Name: The Grange

Listing Date: 17 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282051

Location: Henstead with Hulver Street, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Henstead with Hulver Street

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Henstead St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Henstead

Listing Text

HENSTEAD WITH HULVER STREET
TM 48 NE
2/22 The Grange

- II

House. Core probably C16; the facade and left hand gable end are dated by a
stone tablet at the apex of the gable inscribed 'C' over 'JM' 1740 (for John
and Mary Clarke); early C19 2-span addition set forward to right, and a
further range of similar date at the rear. Fragmentary timber framed core,
largely rebuilt in red brick, the facade and left hand gable end with a
chequer pattern in dark headers. Roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys
with attics to main range. Good facade with 4 windows, original flush-frame
sashes with heavy glazing bars under flat brick arches. Lobby entrance with
inset 6-panel door, panelled reveals, and original doorcase with pilasters,
entablature and modillion cornice. Brick band at first floor level. Internal
stack with 2 tall C19 flues set diamondwise; there are similar stacks at the
right hand gable end and in the later addition. The left hand gable end has a
doorcase with pilasters, entablature and dentil cornice, an eaves brick band
and a square-leaded cross window at attic level. At the rear is later
brickwork and a further datestone inscribed 'C' over 'IA' 1786, for John and
Anna Clarke. The front addition has sash windows with slender glazing bars
under cambered arches. Interior considerably altered: some chamfered joists
and a little framing are visible on the ground floor; evidence for a diamond-
mullioned window at the right hand gable end shows that the house has been
extended slightly to accommodate the gable end stack. C18 eared marble
fireplace in left hand ground floor room.


Listing NGR: TM4904886730

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.