History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barnby, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.451 / 52°27'3"N

Longitude: 1.6495 / 1°38'58"E

OS Eastings: 648073

OS Northings: 289938

OS Grid: TM480899

Mapcode National: GBR YTR.9TX

Mapcode Global: VHM6L.JNWD

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 17 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032106

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282030

Location: Barnby, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Barnby

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Barnby St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Barnby

Listing Text

BARNBY BECCLES ROAD
TM 48 NE
2/1 Church of St. John the
- Baptist

- II*

Parish church. Medieval, restored 1882. Nave and chancel (in one), west
tower, north porch. Flint rubble with remains of plasterwork; brick quoins to
west end, otherwise stone dressings. Thatched roof. Square unbuttressed
tower, probably C14, with 2-light west window; C15 belfry stage with 2-light
openings; crenellated parapet. C13 nave and chancel, the windows mainly with
Y-tracery (some renewed); 2 renewed lancet windows at west end. In the south
east wall is an original double lancet window, now blocked. 3-light east
window with intersecting tracery (restored). Unmoulded north doorway, blocked
south doorway in brick. Pebbledash-rendered porch, probably C19. Interior.
C19 boarded ceiling. C13 octagonal font bowl of Purbeck marble, with 2
shallow blank arches to each face. The banner stave locker in the south west
nave retains its original pierced traceried door, a unique survival. In the
south nave are remains of 3 C15 wall paintings depicting the Crucifixion, the
Works of Mercy around a figure of Christ, and St. Christopher; there is a
further small painting on the north wall. Arms of George IV dated 1825 in
base of tower.


Listing NGR: TM4807389938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.