History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Reydon, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3452 / 52°20'42"N

Longitude: 1.6557 / 1°39'20"E

OS Eastings: 649094

OS Northings: 278189

OS Grid: TM490781

Mapcode National: GBR YWH.ZB0

Mapcode Global: VHM75.NB51

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 27 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281898

Location: Reydon, Waveney, Suffolk, IP18

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Reydon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Reydon St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Reydon

Listing Text

TM 47 NE REYDON WANGFORD ROAD

4/33 Church of St. Margaret
-
27/11/54
- II*

Parish church. Medieval, much restored 1876-88. Nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch. Random flint and stone rubble, stone dressings; slated roofs.
C14 square tower with 3-stage diagonal buttresses to the west face and
projecting stair turret to south; 2-light Perpendicular west window, 2-light
bell chamber openings, the south one altered; crenellated parapet with
flushwork panels. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, both of C15; square-headed and
segmental-headed windows, mostly renewed C19. 3-light C19 east window in
Perpendicular style. Interior Mid-late C19 scissor-braced rafter roofs to
nave and chancel. Trefoil-headed piscina in south nave; ogee-arched piscina
in south sanctuary. 5 of the 6 nave windows have statue niches in their east
splays, the centre one on the north side with a cusped arch with traces of
colour. The east splays of the chancel windows have more ornate niches, the
south east window with 2 niches one above the other: the lower one has a
cusped and crocketed arch with tracery in the spandrels, the upper one a
shallow ogee arch and enriched with fleurons. Mid-late C19 furnishings. Arms
of Anne (dated 1713) over south doorway.


Listing NGR: TM4909478189

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.