History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wrentham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3854 / 52°23'7"N

Longitude: 1.6684 / 1°40'6"E

OS Eastings: 649728

OS Northings: 282703

OS Grid: TM497827

Mapcode National: GBR YVY.GLW

Mapcode Global: VHM6Z.V9WQ

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 27 November 1954

Last Amended: 14 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281925

Location: Wrentham, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Wrentham

Built-Up Area: Wrentham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wrentham St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Frostenden

Listing Text

WRENTHAM
TM 49728270
CHAPEL ROAD
446/6/60
United Reformed Church
27.11.54
II*

Chapel. Dated 1778 on keystone over central ground floor window. Red brick, with rendered flat parapet around 3 sides; mansard hipped roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance facade: semi-circular headed 2-light and 3-light square-leaded casement windows with y tracery; raised stone springers and keys. 2 doorways each with later 4-panel raised and fielded doors: they are set within semi-circular arched recesses and have panelled surrounds which appear to be the original doors. 2-bay returns with similar windows. There is a gallery on 3 sides, supported on slender wooden columns and 2 large columns at the angles, painted to resemble marble. The stairs to the gallery have been removed. Box pews with raised and fielded panels; panelled entrance lobbies. Facing the gallery is a pulpit with inscriptions relating to the founding of the chapel in the C17.

Listing NGR: TM4972982703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.