This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3022 / 52°18'7"N
Longitude: 0.9306 / 0°55'50"E
OS Eastings: 599910
OS Northings: 271164
OS Grid: TL999711
Mapcode National: GBR SH5.N3M
Mapcode Global: VHKD2.2DTH
Entry Name: Sweetbriars
Listing Date: 15 April 1954
Last Amended: 15 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1032218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281776
Location: Walsham-le-Willows, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Walsham-le-Willows
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Walsham-le-Willows St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 97 SE WALSHAM LE WILLOWS THE CAUSEWAY (WEST SIDE)
House. C15. Timber-framed and rendered, with panels of comb-patterned
pargetting, restored C20 black glazed pantiles. 1½ storeys; 3-cell plan.
The internal chimney-stack has a plain shaft of old red brick. 3 gabled
dormers with fluted bargeboards and 2-light square-leaded casement windows.
On the ground floor, one 4-light casement window with transome and 3 cross
windows, all with square leading, some C20 restored. Enclosed and gabled
porch; entrance door with 6 raised and fielded panels. A small single-storey
gabled extension at the right end. Basically a medieval house with a central
open hall flanked by 2 storied ends; in the C16, the chimney-stack with 2
back-to-back hearths was inserted at the lower end of the hall, blocking the
cross-entry, and the 2 service rooms at the lower (north) end were made into
one. The inserted ceiling in the hall has heavy chamfered main beam and
joists, all with scroll stops, and the lintel over the open fireplace has
triple roll-moulding on the soffit and a complex central motif in the form of
a cusped circle, embellished with formalised leaves and an ornate Tau cross.
The original ceilings to the 2 end rooms have plain heavy unchamfered joists,
those at the upper (south), end of better quality; remains of stair traps at
both ends. The open truss over the hall has a cambered tie-beam and long
arched braces, originally meeting in the centre: plain pilaster strips, now
mutilated, ran down the front of the main posts. Smoke-blackened rafter roof,
with the remains of original plaster in one end partition. The roofs over
both ends have been reconstructed with side purlins: the gable end framing
indicates that they were originally hipped. At the north end, the remains of
an oriel window on the upper floor.
Listing NGR: TL9991071164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings