History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Cottage the Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2585 / 52°15'30"N

Longitude: 1.1162 / 1°6'58"E

OS Eastings: 612772

OS Northings: 266838

OS Grid: TM127668

Mapcode National: GBR TKB.723

Mapcode Global: VHL9T.9HGG

Entry Name: Rectory Cottage the Old Rectory

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032234

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281705

Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

Built-Up Area: Wetheringsett

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD CHURCH STREET (off)
TM 16 NW
3/120 The Old Rectory &
29.7.55 Rectory Cottage
(formerly listed as
The Rectory)

GV II
Former rectory, now 2 dwellings. In 2 distinct halves. Range to left has C15
core with considerable later alterations; the majority of this range comprises
Rectory Cottage. Substantial wing to right of c.1857. Older range timber
framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof, hipped to left with a gablet; a small
raised section adjacent to C19 work is slated. C19 work in red brick with
slated roof. 2 storeys. Older range has C18-C19 small-paned and square-
leaded casements. Mid C20 doorway to left has semi-glazed door and flat hood
supported on pilasters. An internal stack with heavy cross-axial shaft. C19
work: large-paned sash windows, gauged brick arches, chamfered reveals;
slightly recessed entrance block with half-glazed door and flanking narrow
windows. Interior. Rectory Cottage has a fine 2-bay inserted ceiling of
early-mid C16: multiple mouldings to cross-beams and cornice, hollow and ogee
moulding to joists. Part of this room is divided off and has complete early
C18 panelling with contemporary fireplace and C19 corner cupboard. To left of
stack, some heavy plain joists and framing, probably re-used. Most of timbers
on upper floor concealed. Roof seems to be largely reconstructed but was not
fully examined. At right end of range a room within The Old Rectory has
massive joists of C15 date. Richard Hakluyt, author of 'The Principal
Navigations, Voyages and Discoveries of the English Nation', became rector in
1590 and live here until his death in 1616.


Listing NGR: TM1277266838

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.