History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fir Tree Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Mendlesham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2292 / 52°13'44"N

Longitude: 1.0713 / 1°4'16"E

OS Eastings: 609847

OS Northings: 263440

OS Grid: TM098634

Mapcode National: GBR TKN.7NZ

Mapcode Global: VHL9Z.J77G

Entry Name: Fir Tree Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281638

Location: Mendlesham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Mendlesham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Mendlesham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Gipping

Listing Text

MENDLESHAM MENDLESHAM GREEN
TM 06 SE
4/53 Fir Tree Farmhouse
-

-- II
Former farmhouse. Late C16 with C17 service cross-wing to right. Altered
1916 after a fire which destroyed the roof. Cross-wing reduced to one storey
in mid C20. Timber framed; front encased in common brick (dated 1916 with
initials 'D.K.' on porch), the rear rendered. Pantiled roof. 3 cells. 2
storeys. 3 windows, 3-light casements without glazing bars, mostly of C19
date, under flat concrete lintols. Lobby entry: gabled porch with semi-glazed
panelled door. Internal stack. 2 ovolo-mullioned windows have been exposed
at rear of parlour cell. Interior. Much plain studding with no visible
bracing. Evidence for removal of many sections of mid rail, suggesting
possible reconstruction. Blocked cross-entry doorway. In the hall, an axial
floorbeam with large barred stop-chamfers and plain joists. The cross-passage
has a similar but structurally separate ceiling, the axial floorbeam bar-
stopped at one end. Service partition removed. Original upper floor in
parlour cell destroyed 1916. C19 newel stair by stack.


Listing NGR: TM0984763440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.