History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weald House

A Grade II Listed Building in Mendlesham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2506 / 52°15'2"N

Longitude: 1.0811 / 1°4'51"E

OS Eastings: 610413

OS Northings: 265854

OS Grid: TM104658

Mapcode National: GBR TK8.XVC

Mapcode Global: VHL9S.PPDK

Entry Name: Weald House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1032253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281648

Location: Mendlesham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Mendlesham

Built-Up Area: Mendlesham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Mendlesham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

TM 16 NW
7/63
29.7.55

MENDLESHAM
OLD MARKET STREET

No.16 (Weald House)
(formerly listed as Premises occupied by Maclean, Premises occupied by Mrs R. Ward,
Premises occupied by T. Finbow, Back Street)

GV
II

House, latterly 3 cottages. Late C15; parlour end added c.1600, extended to
rear at service end in C17. Heavily restored 1970's. Timber framed, with
exposed studding. Plaintiled roof. A 3-cell house of Wealden form. 2
storeys. Jetties on solid brackets, some renewed; the bressumers have remains
of moulding. Casement windows of 1970's with square-leaded panes. Part of
service room at left corner now forms a semi-enclosed porch, with boarded side
entrance door. Stack has square, vertically-panelled shaft. A similar but
heavier shaft to stack in rear wing. Interior. 2½-bay former open hall, the
extra ½-bay containing the cross-entry. Arched-braced open truss re-
positioned at upper end of hall, the tie beam with peg hole for crown-post.
Roof over entire front range renewed 1970's. Lower end wall of hall has crown
stud and down braces from it; upper end wall incorporates re-used blades of
doorway as studs. In general the studding is much altered. C16 inserted
floor: closely-set chamfered joists. C16 stack in cross-entry: partly rebuilt
hall fireplace with original lintol. Evidence for a front doorway into
service end suggests use as shop. A further ½-bay at upper end of hall is
contemporary with the parlour wing.

Listing NGR: TM1041365854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.